Wednesday, May 10, 2006

May 10 - random bits:
Monday I preached at a funeral for an 89 year old woman whom I had known, as well as her son and daughter, when I was doing supply priest work in Riverton, WY. She had moved to Fairbanks Alaska to live with her daughter the last several years of her life. The thing that came out about her from the stories of the family is how much she enjoyed each day of being in this life. Whether it was teaching school on the Wind River Indian Reservation, volunteering at the Nursing Home, raising her family or hanging out with grandchildren and great grandchildren. Whatever the day brought, even in her last years of confinement and illness, she was glad to wake up and still be here. What a gift to those around her. It reminded me of prayer in the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer that is a resource for those who are sick. But I think it is a good prayer for all of us - young and old, sick or well, whatever our day brings.

In the Morning
This is another day, O Lord.
I know not what it will bring forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be.
If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely.
If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly.
If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently.
And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly.
Make these words more than words, and give me the Spirit of Jesus. Amen.

The Spirit of Jesus for me is being present in the moment - acting when we are called upon to act but remembering that we always have gifts to offer no matter the state of our mind, body, and spirit.

No comments: