Sunday, February 18, 2007


ASH WEDNESDAY AND LENT
February 21 is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. As I mentioned before I have decided that instead of giving up chocolate or some other favorite food, I am going to concentrate on the impact I make on the environment. In my other blog, Green Lent I have gathered lots of resources and information for individuals, congregations and communiites. I have decided that for me I will start with connecting with other groups through my blog, becoming more serious about recycling, and most of all cutting down on using my car. For individuals, driving is the most polluting thing we do. Each gallon of gasoline I burn creates around 20 pounds of CO2 or, in terms of volume, about 170 cubic feet according to the US Government Fuel Economysite. This is probably the area where I can make the most impact.
Other areas that help the planet are using shade grown, organic, fair trade coffee, tea and chocolate, and helping with sustainable economic growth around the world. I do this through Episcopal Relief and Development, Episcopalians for Global Reconciliation, and the Episcopal Ecological Network.




AP photo, Zanzibar, of The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several clergy collegues would like to sign on to your proposed Bishops' letter to +Rowan. Perhaps it would be possible to put it in such a form that anyone could sign it, along the lines of the recent Clergy Letter campaign re: the teaching of evolution. They got 10k signatures in a short time.
Thanks,
The Rev Chris Smith
adeodatus@mac.com

Ann said...

Here is the content of my proposed letter if anyone wants to do this -- it is way beyond my technical skills to do. Ann
http://blog.edow.org/weblog/2007/02/fasting_from_lambeth.html#more