Monday, February 26, 2007

Monday of Lent 1. I was only 10 minutes late for church in Rock Springs yesterday. I was jarred awake at 6 a.m. by my alarm on my cell phone. Usually I wake up before the alarm but I was deep down in dreamland. I have been trying to overcome the tail end of my coughing crud. By 7:30 I was in my Subaru driving out of Lander for my journey over South Pass. web cam here Yesterday was warm and sunny and no wind - very unusual for the top of the Continental Divide this time of year. Just past the top my left rear tire blew out. I pulled over and got out that tiny thing that passes for a jack and started to work. My father would not let me learn to drive when I was 15 unless I showed him I could change a tire. So there I am by the side of the road in clericals and a wool skirt. No traffic, no cell service. As I was beginning to raise the tire off the ground, an angel in the wilderness named Dan (who grew up on a ranch and currently manages an oil rig) and his wife stopped to help - I must have looked pathetic - in my skirt with y grey hair! Soon I was on my way - with time to spare. I discovered the only place to get a tire changed on Sunday is Wal Mart - so with the help of a parishioner I took my car in to get in line (6 hour wait at that point). Scurrying into church at 10:40 I had chaos of the mind as we processed. People said they did not feel the chaos so I must not have been projecting it outwardly. Dan found his way into my sermon (see LENT 1) and so it goes.
Interestingly after church, those who followed the episco-drama (and there aren't very many who even know what you mean when you say Anglican Communion), said to me - "Please don't make us go back (before inclusion of gays and lesbians, and Bp Robinson's consecration). We studied, we prayed, we decided - some left - but we are here and we want to keep our church open and loving. There are plenty of other churches for those who don't want to be this way - for us there is only the Episcopal Church."
This is not some radical, revissssssionist group - just a normal Wyoming Church in the midst of a population boom due to our insatiable need for gasoline.
My day ended after lunch with a friend, gathering my car from the Wal Mart and driving home - arrived about 6 p.m. and then led our EfM Online group with an occasional peep at the Oscars.

1 comment:

Grandmère Mimi said...

An eventful Monday, that's for sure.

Ann, the people in your church are lovely. The powerful cannot abandon LGTB folks, and they cannot abandon folks like your congregation either.