Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Nine







Readings for Sunday are here.

From my book, Streams of Mercy: a meditative commentary on the Bible:

Then Jesus asked, 'Were not ten made clean? But the other nine, where are they? Was none of them found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?' Then he said to him, 'Get up and go on your way; your faith has made you well."
Luke 17:17-19

I would have thanked you but:

1. my dinner was burning
2. my kids were crying
3. my business needed me
4. I didn't have any note cards
5. I didn't want to embarrass you
6. I thought you knew
7. I was tired
8. I was so excited
9. I forgot

I wonder why the foreigner did return and the other did not. It occurred to me that when all were suffering from a common disease, they were bonded by their outcast status. When they were all healed, the nine returned to their life: their ethnic and religious life. The foreigner only had Jesus at that point - he could not merge so easily into his old life. And perhaps he had found his true home.



Ten Lepers Healed by Brian Kershisnik (1962- )

1 comment:

sue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.