Sunday, December 02, 2007

ADVENT I





ADVENT I
Readings HERE.

Went to church today with our grandson at his church. It is his birthday this week so he wanted to have his birthday blessing. He has most of the service memorized (at 9 years of age) - both the people parts and the priest parts. Grandma the priest is happy. His church is a close knit community that does lots of praying for one another over all sorts of life events.
Today's theme is be alert as we do not know when Jesus will return. From the Gospel,"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour." Advent is a time of preparation for Jesus' birth at Christmas but also a preparation for his return as the Christ. My way of looking at this is not so much some end time scenario with Jesus returning in clouds of glory at the end of the world as we know it. I believe that from the moment of resurrection we have been living with his return - we just don't always see it.
Where have I seen God breaking into my life in both small and grand ways? Advent is a time for me to reflect and watch. Reflect on the "closest moments to Christ" in my daily life (as the question in the Cursillo 4th day materials asks) and watch for moments this day and as the days proceed. It is happening all the time - if we are alert.
Waking and dreaming I wait and watch for the Christ filled moments as the days become shorter and the nights lengthen. There is something about the dark that can make room for entering both our hopes and fears, holding them close in the night time of our days.

A poem I wrote for for this week:


Wrapping myself in darkness
Under a quilt of stars
I retreat into the dreams
of the waiting child

1 comment:

Ann said...

The church had Tent City in their parking lot. It is a homeless awareness project.