Friday, June 27, 2008

Books - Friday Five


RevGalBlogPals has a reading meme this week:

1) Do you think of summer as a particularly good season for reading? Why or why not?

Not so much - long summer days full of light and outside activities don't leave much time for reading. Winter with its short days and a nice fire are better for reading. Mostly I "read" while driving to church on Sunday - books on CD or tape -- 2 hours there and 2 hours back give lots of time for a book. Harry Potter was great on CD as was the Philip Pullman series.

2) Have you ever fallen asleep reading on the beach?

Not since I got a terrible sunburn doing that!

3) Can you recall a favorite childhood book read in the summertime?

I loved reading as a child - Anne of Green Gables, all sorts of book series, mostly I hated it that our library had books divided into "boys books" and "girls books" - it was always a challenge to me to take a book off the boys shelf and check it out.

4) Do you have a favorite genre for light or relaxing reading?

Mysteries, mysteries, mysteries! Reading a new Marcia Muller now (on tape!)

5) What is the next book on your reading list?

Whatever I can find for my flight to Nashville - probably a mystery. I have a bunch of "serious" reading to do but they sit in piles around the house. I do want to read the Manga Bible though - it is in my bag to take along..

9 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I loved the Anne books-- but only the first 3. It seemed like she lost her Anne-ness after she got married.

mompriest said...

boys books and girls books...yeesh, never heard of such a thing...or at least I don't remember any library I visited doing that. I'd have hated it too...

QuakerPastor said...

I have to be driving to listen to books on CD they make me fall asleep...QP

Songbird said...

We have the Manga Bible at our house, due to also having a young Manga fan. Pretty interesting.

Jan said...

I never read the Anne books, but my mother did and loved them. My oldest daughter liked those books.

Diane said...

now the Manga Bible, that sounds interesting. My neice has read most of the Anne books...

LutheranChik said...

The Manga Bible?

I guess I don't get out enough.;-)

Katie Z. said...

You know - I really need to read the Anne of Green Gables books. I read the first one, or most of it - but then I saw the whole series on PBS - when they did it with Meagan Follows... and those videos are dearer to my heart than the books - at least right now. But I have a feeling that if I went back and found the series it would make for some delightful summer reading.

Kate Morningstar said...

The Anne books -- this year is the 100th anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables. I know this, because CanadaPost has issued a couple of stamps, one with a picture of Anne and one with a picture of the house. Maybe I'll post 'em over at my place.

And, that series with Meagan Follows -- my brother-in-law and one of his ex-wives were in some of the crowd scenes. I can't say I've ever seen Mike, but I have seen his wife when I watched it. They were great books.

They didn't have a boys' side in our library. But I did tend to take out Robin Hood and Swallows and Amazons kinds of books.