Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Five - surf's up!


RevGalBlogPals had an irresistable, to me, Friday Five. I love the beach - the northern Oregon coast is my psychic home - my home of the heart. Here are the questions if you want to play.

1. Ocean rocks, lake limps? Vice versa? Or "it's all beautiful in its own way"?
The basalt headlands and sea stacks are breathtaking. Haystack Rock is a favorite.

2. Year round beach living: Heaven...or the Other Place?
Heaven except for the winter rain, rain, rain.

3. Any beach plans for this summer?
Definitely - a beach run - only 1000 miles from here

4. Best beach memory ever?
Hard to pick one. Playing with our kids when they were small, sandcastles and a complete map of the coast of Washington and Oregon with our oldest grandchild, one of the kids saying "who put all this sand here for me?" Church camp at Gearhart in High School where I discovered church was more than Sunday services.

5. Fantasy beach trip?
Don't need fantasy - have been to the best - Cannon Beach, the beach in Puerto Rico at full moon, and the beach in Tanzania at Oyster Bay. This summer I go to the beach in the south of England and to Iona.

Bonus: Share a piece of music/poetry/film/book that expresses something about what the beach means to you.
Any song from Missa Gaia.

9 comments:

Sally said...

well played- a 1,000 mile trip really! Nowhere in the UK is more than 300 miles from the sea!

Auntie Knickers said...

Sally, there are places in the US even more than 1000 miles from the sea!
Good play, and I'm envious about Iona.

Jan said...

You are so very blessed and fortunate to live near the Oregon beaches. I fell in love with your blog when I saw the picture of Haystack Rock. And going to Iona will be wonderful.

Counselor in Process said...

Puerto Rico, yum. I went to Vieques once. The full moon kept us from seeing the glow in the dark fishes, however.
The McGarrigles are Canadian Sister singers. One is the mother of Loudon Wainright (did you see the the clip on my blog?)

Diane said...

wow, there are so many ocean places I am not aware of. can't wait to travel more that direction.

Also: you lived in ST. Louis Park? I grew up there. We didn't go to Lake Minnetonka often, but to lakes Cedar and Harriet and Calhoun, yes. And swam in the lake.

Ann said...

re: St. Louis Park - I taught 4th grade for a year there.
CinP - yes I saw the video - great fun -sent it to our daughter.

Ted Michael Morgan said...

My last visit to Cannon Beach was in November 1984. The place remains one of my favorite places. My former wife and I used to go to the beach at Fort Pickens in Florida every other weekend during the years we lived in New Orleans. The last visit to Cannon Beach was during that interval. Lovely place.

Lindy said...

Ah, Cannon Beach... When I need a mental break I imagine driving west from Portland along the 26, picking up some wine and cheese in Tillamook and heading north on the 1 all the way to Astoria. There's nothing better.

Great play.

Kathy said...

Iona! How I envy you! I was there in 2000, and it is everything you think it is going to be. Do not miss a trip to Fingal's Cave. Walk deep inside and sing Amazing Grace for me. I did it, and soon there were at least 10 others singing with me - Awesome experience!!!