Friday, November 21, 2008

Mixing and stirring

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five meme is the Mix and Stir - since we will probably be on our own for Thanksgiving I am looking forward to not cooking - but give it a try and send your link. Fun stories of Thanksgiving - one year the whole family was at our beach house and we were cooking up Thanksgiving Dinner. About half way through the turkey roasting, our power went out. I said, "oh that's okay, we can use the microwave" - the kids looked at me like I had lost my mind - duh - a microwave need electricity! The power did not come on for several hours but the turkey was cooked and juicy from roasting in the heat of the closed oven and wrapped in foil.
1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
Yes, I have a Cuisinart Food Processor. When I need it, I love it. Shredding large amounts of cheese is one of the uses I find handy.

2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).)
Mostly use the shredding blade and the mixing knife blade thing.


3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?
I have a standing mixer - heavy duty - great for mashing potatoes. Also have the hand held - for quick stuff or whipping cream once a year!

4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
Don't use the blender - gave it away. Use the Cuisinart if I need to blend stuff.

5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?
My grandmother's old cooking fork with a wooden handle, about the size of a regular fork - just right for scrambling eggs, sauteing and stirring, testing veggies for the just right stage for eating - not too soggy not too raw. I can almost feel her presence as I use the fork.


Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
The oven - now ours is broken so won't be using it at all!!!

5 comments:

RevDrKate said...

Isn't it wonderful to have those things that are connected to those we love and to be able to feel their presence as we use them? Thanks for that reminder.

Songbird said...

Ah, the fork sounds very special!

Auntie Knickers said...

John Gould, a writer from and about Maine, had a great essay about a kitchen fork similar to what you describe. great stories!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

What a great site, Ann, and I'm so happy that some of my responses have actually been published. You are a gem, my dear.

Eileen says it's your birthday. If it is, may you have many, many happy returns of the day, m'dear.

Jane R said...

Happy belated birthday! (Came here thanks to Eileen too.) And happy Thanksgiving cooking with forks and mixers and especially love!