Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sympathetic mobsters

Rise in glory James Gandolfini, who played Tony Soprano on a hit HBO series. Prayers for you and for those who loved you as a friend and family member. A real person whose death will leave a void in the hearts of these people.

What I don't get is the grieving that seems more about the role he played than the man himself. I admit I never watched the show. I don't watch much TV anyway (except baseball and Downton Abbey) but I was never drawn to a show about mobsters. I am told it was great because it showed complexity and James Gandolfini made a violent character sympathetic. Variety says "The actor was praised for his deft juggling of the character’s violence and sensitivity, making the murderous crime lord a sympathetic figure."

So maybe someone can explain why this is a good thing? And why it should be held up as something wonderful? What next - sympathetic characters who are rapists? (oh right we already have those in real life.)

3 comments:

Grandmère Mimi said...

I had the same reservations about the show. I felt crazy when I watched, because I could not believe in a mafioso as a sympathetic character, and it was obvious the writers of the show wanted the viewers to see Tony Soprano as sympathetic while being violent. And the psychiatrist? Well, Tony, if you want to feel less troubled, then go into another line of work.

Yes, I grieve for James Gandolfino, the actor, and for his family and those who love him, but I do see a good bit of what seems to me like grief for the character, and I don't understand.

JCF said...

If I may, Ann, it's because in God's Eyes, we're ALL essentially Sympathetic Mobsters ("None w/o sin, no, not one"). Not having HBO, however, I never saw "The Sopranos" (not sure I would have, anyway, but that's just personal taste).

RIP, James. [I confess that, when I heard his age---the same as mine---I felt footsteps on my grave. "Our time is in Your hands, O Lord")

Grandmère Mimi said...

I thought I left a comment. Did it go missing?