Sunday, August 19, 2007

more thoughts on Sunday




From Harry Potter – Introduction to Deathly Hallows

“Death is but crossing the world, as friends do the seas; they live in one another still. For they must needs be present, that love and live in that which is omnipresent.

“In this divine glass they see face to face; and their converse is free, as well as pure. This is the comfort of friends, that though they may be said to die, yet their friendship and society are, in the best sense, ever present, because immortal.” (William Penn, More Fruits of Solitude, 1702).

This seems to resonate with the readings from Hebrews about being surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses. The San Damiano Crucifix to me is a cross of the great cloud of witnesses.

I am also taken with Judi Boli's comments about fire in her sermon for today. One that some seeds can't grow without fire and the other about how firebreaks use fire to fight fire.

Will meditate on this and listen to NPR (always a good source for sermon material) on my 2 hour drive to Rock Springs this morning.

4 comments:

Grandmère Mimi said...

Ann, at my mother's memorial service, the priest used a dialogue sermon. He began by asking where people go when they die. My then 5-year-old grandson raised his hand and said, "They go to be with Jesus, and if you love them they live in your heart."

To this day, none of us knows where these words came from. His parents did not tell him this. Everyone there was touched by his response. I've never forgotten it.

From the mouths of babes....

Ann said...

He is so right - thanks.

Peg in South Carolina said...

I tried to find your email addy. Failing that, I wanted to tell you of my surprise to find your comment on my weaving blog!!! Are you a weaver? I am an Episcopalian, of the liberal bent despite living in SC. We are northern transplants via Rome, GA

Ann said...

No not a weaver, just saw my name on a bloglines feed of my name. I thought your comments about weaving and slow were so perceptive.