Friday, February 01, 2008

Super Bowl thoughts


RevGalBlogPals plays Friday Five each week. This week's question is about Imbolc/Brigid or the Super Bowl. I love the feast days that intersect with older traditions - like Brigid - who crosses all boundaries of religions showing us that the Source of all speaks across time and culture in many languages.
I am not as sure that the Super Bowl is one of these but it is the great US annunal ritual that draws us together - even if we cheer for different teams. The game from RGBPs is to post 5 things about the topic.

1. It is the great US annual public ritual -even if one does not watch football you hear about it.
2. It has the buying of the ritual food - sugar, salt and grease being the main ingredients, ritual drinks - beer and Dr. Pepper (or soda of choice).
3. The gathering of the people around the glowing screen, expression of strong feelings, and a final dismissal as the credits roll, with a re-visitng of every play during the week. (oh that our weekly worship was discussed even a bit like that)
4. You gather with friends - in private or public spaces although the NFL is enforcing its rule that you can't have a big screen party at church - see here.
5. You can have fun vestments! See above.

11 comments:

revkarla said...

I love your stoles~~but I have to say I am rooting for the other team. What fun! Did you make them?

Ann said...

They belong to our dean - if you look closely you can see your team on the other side - her sister makes a set for her and the deacon every year - the kids love them.

Counselor in Process said...

I may have followed the instructions wrong this time, but I love your little picture.

Sally said...

love those vestments!!! Great play :-)

sdbreuer said...

To paraphrase Cindy Lou Who:

Why are these people wearing stoles of the abomination that causes desolation??

Why??

sdbreuer said...

Choose ye this day whom ye will serve. There is no via media in the entirely binary question of whether you will favor the righteous or the unrighteous.

In no way way this message typed under compulsion from anyone in New England, and I was certaily not threatened by any of my New England colleagues threatening to circulate rumors that as a child I had a wild crush on Sean Cassidy.

Nay, I say of my own free will (and nobody is standing behind me making me type this at this very moment):

Hail, Patriots! Hail!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

ooo i like it... except for the nyg part of the stole that is.

Ann said...

Episcopalians try for Via Media. LOL --

johnieb said...

It's yer blog, so may I be polite about this,

Fugiddabouit!

From New England, this is

Binx said...

Nice stoles. I see they come in the variety required, Prebyterial and diaconial.

I have but ONE question.

In either Western or Sarum usage could someone plese tell me just what liturgical color they are supposed to be?

Ann said...

WOOHOO!! Giants win! How 'bout that?