Friday, February 01, 2008
Super Bowl thoughts
RevGalBlogPals plays Friday Five each week. This week's question is about Imbolc/Brigid or the Super Bowl. I love the feast days that intersect with older traditions - like Brigid - who crosses all boundaries of religions showing us that the Source of all speaks across time and culture in many languages.
I am not as sure that the Super Bowl is one of these but it is the great US annunal ritual that draws us together - even if we cheer for different teams. The game from RGBPs is to post 5 things about the topic.
1. It is the great US annual public ritual -even if one does not watch football you hear about it.
2. It has the buying of the ritual food - sugar, salt and grease being the main ingredients, ritual drinks - beer and Dr. Pepper (or soda of choice).
3. The gathering of the people around the glowing screen, expression of strong feelings, and a final dismissal as the credits roll, with a re-visitng of every play during the week. (oh that our weekly worship was discussed even a bit like that)
4. You gather with friends - in private or public spaces although the NFL is enforcing its rule that you can't have a big screen party at church - see here.
5. You can have fun vestments! See above.