Friday, December 26, 2008

On the feast of Stephen

Finally catching up on my Christmas sleep deficit. Daughter, SIL, and grandson left on Christmas eve afternoon to arrive by 5 p.m. for services in the log church at Eden. The snow and wind in some parts of the highway made it difficult to see the road in some parts. After a stop in the "saloon" across the highway for nature needs, we had a fun time singing carols to the old pump organ. Grandson played Good King Wenceslas for the offertory.
Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the feast of Stephen
When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gath'ring winter fuel

"Hither, page, and stand by me
If thou know'st it, telling
Yonder peasant, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"
"Sire, he lives a good league hence
Underneath the mountain
Right against the forest fence
By Saint Agnes' fountain."

"Bring me flesh and bring me wine
Bring me pine logs hither
Thou and I will see him dine
When we bear him thither."
Page and monarch forth they went
Forth they went together
Through the rude wind's wild lament
And the bitter weather

"Sire, the night is darker now
And the wind blows stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how,
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, my good page
Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."

In his master's steps he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure
Wealth or rank possessing
Ye who now will bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing

Two of the women who were there were born near the church in a log cabin. Their father had helped build the church.

After some spiced cider and several cookies we headed for Rock Springs. Clear roads and the Senior Warden's warm house welcomed us. SIL made mac and cheese to sustain us through the rest of the evening. Carols began at 10:30 p.m. and service at 11. Grandson reprised GKW. The most fun for me was having grandson and daughter acolyting for the service. All dressed in red cassocks and white surplice - they did a great job - daughter had not acolyted for 20 years - g-son - never.

We had a nice crowd - many people I had never seen before - so that was lovely. In the morning 2 of us did Christmas Day service and then back in the car for the drive home. Roads much better tho it was snowing - no wind. Arrived in time to do the opening of the presents. Then after a nap I made gravy and we ate a delicious dinner cooked mainly by our DIL -- who stayed home slaving over the hot stove and oven to feed us. It was a great Christmas gift to me not having to think about cooking when knee deep in Christmas services.

Now it is the day after - kids watching the Grinch (who was featured in my sermon!) along with Superman.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Me thinks you are back in the saddle and never forgot how to be a parish priest. You are loving it, I can tell. And, I couldn't be happier. You go girl. How lucky your congregation and you found each other again.

Now, for the sleep deprivation - I'm right behind you, sister.

Lindy said...

Ah,great Ann! Sounds like you had a good holiday. Enjoy your well earned rest.