Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Woman at the well

The Gospel for this Sunday is one of my favorites (I know I know - I say that about most of the Bible! but this one really is). I chose it for the Gospel for my ordination as a priest. To me it speaks of  the reality of life. How we fill our lives with "many husbands" (occupations and loves of the moment) but when we find the real thing we realize what has been missing and the depth of our thirst. Then we want to run out and tell everyone. The Eastern Church honors her with a name, Photini: bringer of light. She was one of the earliest and best evangelists. She did it by telling her story. The power of story to tell the truth about life (even it not "facts") is well known. What is your story of coming to Christ or having Christ come to you? Who was the story bearer in your life?

Here are some photos of the sculpture of the woman and Jesus - from Chester Cathedral.



And a video performance of the story here.

No comments: